Sunday 8 May 2011

I drew a lady


I got completely enchanted by this girl as soon as I saw her on The Model Scouts (Irelands much, MUCH, better version of America's Next Top Model (yes, I watch all that crud)). Her name's Tabea and she actually won it in the end, proving that I have impeccable taste, of course. *cough*

There is some angsty 'OMG IM SO UNINSPIRED' whining to the sound of a tiny violin behind the jump :D give me your wisdom (or a good shake of the shoulders)!!!



This was a 'getting back into the swing of things' kind of drawing, since I've been quite busy with my lovely new job (more on that another time!!) and I don't really like it much at all. it's too.. TIGHT. Too considered, too careful; completely lacking in vitality, individuality --its missing that stamp of ME that makes drawings worth looking at.

Don't get me wrong, it's technically very 'good' and I am quite pleasantly surprised that even when rusty I can still crank out a decent likeness.. but I totally remembered why I got so bored of copying photo after photo of celebs etc in my high school days: it impressed people, but there was no substance and no act of CREATION..
I'm just a glorified photocopier.

So where do I go next?

I think I have to figure out how to enjoy the drawing process, maybe try to actually let go of this realistic drawing tosh and see where it leads me. Make something up that I find pleasing. OR maybe it's a matter of technique; of injecting my mark through looser lines, of letting go of that rein.

Hmmmmm. Any ideas?

1 comment: